Thursday, January 2, 2014

...23 Things I've Done by 26 Instead of Being Married by 23...

Disclaimer: This is not a bash blog post. This is simply a post in reference to the two articles going around social media outlets as of late.

I'm sure you've seen (or at least heard about) the article going our Facebook where the blogger writes about 23 things to do instead of getting engaged by 23. She reportedly wrote the article as a personal bucket list, but in a fashion that suggests that all other women should do the same (or similar) things as she instead of getting married at a young age.

If you haven't read this blog here is the link. It would be helpful to read to have a background to the rest of my post. http://wanderonwards.com/2013/12/30/23-things-to-do-instead-of-getting-engaged-before-youre-23/

I just recently also read a post from a twenty-five year old that was in reference to the aforementioned blog. http://kbeauregard.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/my-first-blog-the-result-of-a-close-minded-23-year-old/ This post obviously was in favor of marriage by age 23 and all the things you are still capable of doing regardless of your marriage status or age.

Here's my take on it all

I believe in love. Young love. Old love. In-between love. Friend love. Family love. I love you but I'm not IN love with you love. and my current kind-I love my dog love.

I also don't believe that there is an age requirement for marriage. I don't believe that there an age too young to marry, realistically speaking (if you respond with "what about twelve year olds that are forced into marriage..." or something along those lines, please find someone to slap you for asking such a ridiculous question). I don't believe that getting married by or at age twenty-three carries any consequences or causes anyone to miss out on anything. Just like I don't think that getting married at a later age allows you to experience any more or less than that of someone younger.

I have friends that were married younger than 23 have multiple children and blessed in ways I only wish I could be, I have met people in my current job that didn't get married until 2013 after already having been together for 20+ years and are near retirement. Last but not least, my baby sister is getting married this year eleven days before her 23rd birthday. And, she's done more in life at age 22 than half the people she knows her age.

I had plans when I was younger. I thought I would be married and have at least one child by the time I was 25. You know what they say, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him you have plans." Being married and having children, right now at age 26, just wasn't meant for me I guess. I would be lying if I said that I never cared, or that I don't feel sad about it sometimes. But I've gotten to a point in my life that I appreciate what I have accomplished instead. That's not saying that I've done more than my friends and family that are/will be married young-that's saying that I've experienced so much more than I would have been able to if I had been married or than I would have been able to if I had married the first or even second person that I thought was "the one."

So here's my list of the top 23 things I've done by age 26 instead of being married by 23:
 
1. Got a passport at age 16. I then traveled to France while in high school and have stood on top of the Eiffel Tower and I have seen the Mona Lisa.
 
2. I went to college. Actually, I went to 3 colleges. I graduated with my Bachelor's degree in 2012 at the age of 24 from Northern Michigan University.
 
3. I found my "thing." and it is one of many "things" that I have found.
 
4. I joined a sorority in college. And, some of my best friends because of it.
 
5. I fell in love.
 
6. I became an aunt and learned just how much love a heart can hold. <3
 
7.  I moved across the country. With a one-way plane ticket and two checked bags. literally.
 
8. I've had my heart broken.
 
9. Because of those heart breaks I've learned more about myself and what I want most out of relationship than I ever would have known.
 
10. I bought a car! All on my own without help from my parents or the bank.
 
11. I've been to Disney World (there is seriously no place as magical as Disney-even at 24)!
 
12. I've dated several people. not at the same time. I don't know about you, but I don't like things blowing up in my face.
 
13. I have in fact made out with a perfect stranger. And, realized it's way more fun to make out with someone I'm dating.
 
14. I got a tattoo. Then I got another tattoo. This month, I'm getting my third.
 
15.  I lost my faith. But, I found it again. V
16. I lived on my own and walked through my house naked all the time. I did not however break the law with public ludeness by standing in front of my window naked (nobody would want to see that naked anyways-then maybe).
 
17. I joined a gym. And to my surprise I kept going back. I've now lost 30 pounds and stand in my mirror naked all the time! :)
 
18. I started a blog. Wrote a few times, and never wrote again. Then I remembered the really stupid stuff I wrote about and started this blog.
 
19. I touched the ocean!
 
20. I sucked up my pride and moved back into my parent's house. TEMPORARILY.
 
21. I cut my hair off. I can't get it to grow past my shoulders now :(
 
22. I made new friends and I rekindled old friendships.
 
23. I wrote this blog post about what I've done instead of being married and having children. But, it doesn't mean I've done any more or any less than anyone else. No matter their age.
 
 
No matter what age you get married at or what you've accomplished by the time you get married (or at any point in your life) it doesn't matter. All the matters is that you are happy and that you are full-filled. It's your life. No one else's. Stop comparing yourself to other's and just do what makes your heart fill with joy (or your head tell you "that was stupid").
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment